New Release: Ellie Goulding - Burn

August 12, 2013 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

Ellie Goulding, real name Elena Goulding, is set to storm the UK Charts this week with this song, if she manages the top spot she will be claiming her first number one. This is the first time she has been reviewed on my blog, since I'm not much of a fan of hers and usually there is other singers I'm much more interested in reviewing. Today it was a toss-up between reviewing this one or The Wanted's "We Own The Night", however I chose Ellie Goulding because I haven't reviewed her previously, even "Your Song" her version of Elton John's "Your Song" hasn't been on my blog yet, although it is uniquely great. I still think she's finding her place in music at the moment, but now that this song is set to chart high, has she just found her place?

"Burn" was written by Ryan Tedder, Ellie Goulding, Greg Kurstin, Brent Kutzie and Noel Zancanella. It was originally recorded by Leona Lewis with her third album in mind, however it didn't make the final cut, I bet the people behind Leona Lewis are screwing at how this hit has slipped through their hands (Leona's version can be found below). I prefer Ellie Goulding's version, but I think that is because Leona's is just a demo (although better vocally), Ellie's has been produced and released, and it sounds better, my opinion might be different if Leona had gone on to release it. This song has been played often on the radio, hence why it's doing so well on the iTunes chart this week. It's not my sort of song (I'm not being biased, it just isn't something I would buy), however I do see how so many people find it catchy and why it has stormed the iTunes chart.

The music video relates to the song well, but that is where I stop enjoying it. Not a lot is going on and I've already had to watch it again and again as I keep forgetting what happens in the video due to the fact that not a lot is happening. Instead I'm looking around my room and tapping and waiting for the video to finish. I am distracting myself without even meaning to.

I have to admit Ellie Goulding looks relaxed, she's having fun and seems to be just enjoying recording the music video as well as singing the song. She seems free and open.

I like that they use the lights to spell out her initials in a triangle. It relates to the song as lights burn, but it's only a slight link.

The party seems fun, in fact I want to be there, guess I need a night out, yet I still have to wait until September. But this looks like a lot of fun, and that's what I need.

Overall, a song that fails to capture me but has become a hit here in the UK, and has become catchy to many other people. And a music video that has failed to excite me, yet has shown fun, lights and everything that an average music video usually brings. So what sort of rating does an average video get from me? Well this rating of course.

0 comments: