Georgia Entry: Nodi Tatishvili & Sophie Gelovani - Waterfall

June 03, 2013 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

A collaboration entry, the only one of my Eurovision Special 2013... Nodi Tatishvili and Sophie Gelovani are well known on music talent TV contests. Nodi Tatishvili has performed in various countries, and therefore his prominence in those countries could possibly be the reason why they gained so many points. However the song is so good, and they performed it well, so it may just be the song. I did download the song from iTunes, but as much as I want to see these two singers record more songs together, and possibly become a duo, I just don't think that is going to happen. Their harmonies are just perfect, and would be great if they release another collaboration, but it doesn't seem to be on the cards.

"Waterfall" was written by Thomas G:son (quite the Eurovision writer isn't he? He wrote Loreen's winning song "Euphoria" as well as Pastora Soler's "Quédate Conmigo" from the same year) and Erik Bernholm. The song is catchy, however I think the song is better when it's performed, like it was on the final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2013, compared to the studio version. The song reminds me of a Disney song, something a princess will sing while thinking of her true love. Disney should so get this song in one of their films!

Georgia came 15th out of 26 countries, which is almost halfway. Nodi Tatishvili and Sophie Gelovani got 50 points. Lithuania gave 8 points, Moldova gave 3 points, Russia gave 5 points, Armenia gave 10 points, Azerbaijan also gave 10 points, Greece gave 5 points, Ukraine gave 7 points and Montenegro gave 2 points. They did better in the final than what they did in the Semi-Final.

The music video is lacking a WATERFALL! I know I complain about literal meaning, but if you're going to title a song you should at least incorporate that thing in the music video. But this is not the only thing missing...

They sing about 'Sailing on a sea of dreams' and 'flying', yet there is no sea, no flying.

On the other hand this is a pure performance piece, so leaving out any possible setting ideas for a narrative (or for Disney, come on Disney the song just sends out a potential film!) I am focusing on their powerful stage presence, or should I say mountainous presence?

And they have a lot of that, they manage to convey it, and if I were to see them live at a concert, festival or gig, I reckon I will get chills and goosebumps, I'm sure I got them during the final of this year's contest. They convey so much emotion in this video, that we don't need any of the imagery they sing about. I can't help but think wow after watching the video. But it would have been a bigger wow with a waterfall.

The song is great to listen to, and I can't suggest it enough to Disney. This needs to be on one of their movie soundtracks, at least! The accompanying music video is missing things we can dream of, all the stuff they mention in the song fails to show up in the video, and although the performance video is full of emotion, and a hedge maze! It fails to actually come up with a waterfall. I was expecting the mountain to cave in with them on top and they to fall into a waterfall together. The video lacks what we needed from this video, yet manages to capture us with the amazing song and the beautiful setting.

0 comments: