OK Go - Here It Goes Again

December 03, 2012 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

OK Go are a four piece American Alternative rock band consisting of Damian Kulash, Tim Nordwind, Dan Konopka and Andy Ross. I have never heard of these people before and one of my flatmates mentioned them a few days ago. Then all of a sudden, today I got a request for this song... Seems a bit shifty to me, but it might just be a pure coincidence because I just completely embarrassed myself by talking about this suggestion to him and he had no clue what I was talking about, or he is a very convincing liar. I'm thinking the former. This week really haven't been my week at all. Anyway, OK Go have had a few hits in America, the UK and Australia. It'll be interesting what the future will bring.

"Here It Goes Again" was written by Damien Kulash. The song is currently the band's only single to dip into the US Billboard Hot 100, managing to chart at number 38. In the UK it managed to chart at number 36. However it is believed the reason for this is the music video, as it became one of the most watched YouTube videos, until it got taken down. See I told you the music video does count towards sales. It's not my sort of thing, but I don't cringe listening to it, so clearly my flatmates are slowly getting through to me.

The music video is pure genius. It is one continuous take of the band dancing on treadmills, all choreographed amazingly. Apparently, it is common in their videos, for Tim Nordwind to lip-sync the song's lyrics when it's actually Damien Kulash who sings the vocals.

This video is definitely a statement and it's always great to watch, even though I've only seen it once. It took seventeen attempts to finally get it right, and they pulled it off perfectly... Or have they?

Time for the nitty-gritty... There are a few steps in the choreography that is missed, and videos like this clearly make them stand out, and I can't help but express how important it is to be in sync at all times. However I give it the benefit of the doubt as they must have been tired after seventeen attempts.

Furthermore, the song and the video doesn't relate, this is usually a must, and even performance based videos manages to convey the meaning through the expressions, again I'm willing to let it slide because this is a totally unexpected video. I also feel that something else should be included. I just feel it's pretty uninteresting. However it's fun eye-catching and not something I expected.

Bayer parodied this for their Effervescent drink: Berocca (which I take regularly). Their adverts are always fun to watch. See right for the video.

Overall, the song is not my thing, but it is others, and I respect that. The video is a great idea, it's fun, it's different, and it definitely stands out. However it's a bit bland and missing that extra little spark that's needed to make me go WOW!

0 comments: