New Release: Rita Ora - Shine Ya Light

November 05, 2012 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

Rita Ora has been mentioned quite a few times on this blog, and here is another fantastic song. She has so far had 3 consecutive number ones in the UK, plus a number one album. Will this song make it a fourth? Well it seems doubtful, with extreme competition with many other well-known artists. But guess we'll find out on Sunday, and sure enough she is promoting a lot, she performed the song yesterday on The X Factor, and apparently there are various other performances lined up.

"Shine Ya Light" was written by Chris Loco, Fraser T Smith and Laura Pergolizzi (L.P.). Personally I don't think this song is as great as her previous singles "R.I.P." and "How We Do (Party)", however more radio and music channel play will definitely get this song running over and over in my head as it's such a catchy little song. Is it number one worthy? Probably not, but Rita Ora is always number one worthy, so with the help of the radio, I can see this song getting there, but it's going to be quite the battle.

This music video takes Rita Ora back to her roots of Kosovo. It reminds me a lot of Nicki Minaj's "Pound The Alarm" because she did the exact same thing, and even though the videos are different, the idea behind it isn't too different.

I like the natural narrative, it just shows Rita being in Kosovo, and also shows the UK what it is like over there. However I feel that it doesn't link in with the song, which is usually a must with this sort of song.

I do like the performance bit, it shows how confident she is and ready for what comes her way, especially when she is on the "Newborn" sign.

There are various scenes that are interesting too, the motorbikes stand out the most to me reminding me of Shakira featuring Dizzee Rascal's "Loca". However I also think there is a small scene that reminds me of another video, and that is when she has her hair wet and combed back. It reminds me a lot of Pixie Lott's "All About Tonight".

Overall a great song that becomes pretty catchy after a few listens. As for the music video, it's very different to when we first saw her feature in DJ Fresh's "Hot Right Now", but it also shows how versatile she is, and how much she believes in her roots, which always gets a thumbs up from me. The only thing missing is the link with the song, and this song is so story-like, that you don't expect this sort of video. However it does link as she is shining her light and showing that no matter who you are, you can get somewhere. But I don't see that link strongly enough.

0 comments: