New Release: Cheryl - Under The Sun

September 03, 2012 Critic Jonni 0 Comments



Cheryl! She became an X Factor judge in 2008, she also had a stint on the X Factor US as a judge but was soon fired. This is her new release, which is unlikely to chart in the top 10 and it's pretty understandable since it isn't as catchy as her other songs. We now have to call her Cheryl since she has divorced her now ex-husband Ashley Cole. So is she Cheryl Cole or Cheryl Tweedy? Who knows? And who cares? We all have to adjust to calling her Cheryl and that's perfectly fine with me. She rose to fame in 2002 on a show called Popstars: The Rivals, in which both a girl band and a boy band were created, the girl band managed to chart ahead of the boys, and the boy group soon disbanded. However the girl group is still going strong, and after a 3 year hiatus, Girls Aloud are apparently reforming. They consist of Cheryl, Nadine Coyle, Nicola Roberts, Sarah Harding and Kimberley Walsh.

This song was written by Alex da Kid, Mike Del Rio, Jayson DeZuzio, Steven Battey, Carlos Battey and Cheryl Cole. Personally I don't think it's a great song, it's one of those ones that you hear a lot on the radio but you wouldn't actually listen to it yourself. I just feel it's missing something and it's not the sort of thing you expect Cheryl to release especially after "Call My Name".

The music video takes you back to the 50's and it doesn't appeal to me, I never go out of my way to watch it, so in theory, today was the first time I'd seen it all the way through, and I wasn't impressed. It's got a narrative but doesn't really fit in with the song as it is more of a performance piece.

There's choreography that Cheryl pulls off perfectly, as per usual. But I don't see how this sultry sexy side of Cheryl works, it kind of makes you question if this is actually her or not. I see her as a great dancer, and she usually releases videos that connects to the audience who will normally buy her singles which is teenagers to 30 year olds, this 50's style just doesn't appeal to me and not to many others either.

Overall a song that the radio is playing quite often, which is exactly the reason why it's climbing up the chart, however, the music video is very unappealing to Cheryl's audience, she should stick to what she knows and what everyone is used to from her. So weighing up everything I think this is the rating it deserves.

0 comments: