Belle Amie - Girls Up

September 02, 2012 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

Belle Amie was one of my favourites of the seventh series on The X Factor, after Katie Waissell who has not released any music videos thus far; Treyc Cohen who too haven't released any music videos, and Cher Lloyd, who has released music videos and all of which currently appears on my blog. So Belle Amie were my next favourite. They were a four-piece band during The X Factor, but Geneva Lane left to pursue a solo career in 2011, and most recently Rebecca Creighton (the red-head) has recently left to pursue an R&B solo career, she has also expressed her frustration at the little amount of support that was about for Belle Amie at the time. Since Rebecca has left, it leaves Belle Amie in an undetermined future, will Sophie Wardman and Esther Campbell continue as a duo? Will they recruit a new member? Or will they too leave Belle Amie? Who knows? But there is one thing for sure, girl bands are currently storming the charts and if Belle Amie were to continue, I reckon they will have a lot more support than what they think. The seventh series gave us a lot of great acts, these are: Matt Cardle (winner), Rebecca Ferguson (second), One Direction (third), Cher Lloyd (fourth), Mary Byrne (fifth), Paije Richardson (eighth), Aiden Grimshaw (ninth), Belle Amie (eleventh), Storm Lee (fourteenth) and Nicolò Festa (sixteenth).

"Girls Up" was written by Michaela Shiloh and Chad Dexter. The song is about girls thinking they have to be someone they are not to impress someone, such as slimming and changing ones appearance. It's good that this is their debut song, it means they can spread a message out to people, and hopefully help change the world. The girls look great together and I got excited that we could possibly have a new girl band on the block. But the song charted at number 25 on the UK Independent Chart, not even managing to hit the UK top 200, and then with Rebecca leaving I don't think we'll be seeing any more of Belle Amie, I just hope I am wrong, and they come back stronger than ever.

This music video was released on 17th June 2011, not long after I started this blog. I so wanted to review it back then, but something clearly stopped me, obviously this special clearly was going to happen whether I liked it or not, and I'm glad I waited so long. This video has everything it could possibly need and it relates to the song perfectly.

I like how they are dolls at the beginning, with Rebecca trying to eat some cake, proving that indulging isn't a sin. I like how the message of the music video comes across and you know that it's okay to be yourself. The second part of the video is them at a photo shoot and they are surprised at the editing software as they are clearly being changed to suit the people doing the photo shoot, this shows to people that what you might see in magazines might not be exactly real.

The scenes are full of choreography that works really well with the song and the whole meaning, it may not be easy to copy, which isn't exactly the plan, and it also shows the girls as a united force (which happens to be a little misguiding).

Overall a great song that becomes irresistibly catchy, and an accompanying music video that finally relates to the song. I haven't got a bad thing to say about this video, nothing, zilch, nada. So clearly I have to give it this rating.

0 comments: