Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me

October 24, 2011 Critic Jonni 0 Comments

Mike Posner is a very recent American artist. Personally, I'm not exactly a fan of his, I can put up with his songs and appreciate them for what they're worth, but that is as far as I can go. This is his first ever single, it was written by Mike Posner and Eric Holljes, and Mike said that he wrote and recorded it while at University, in his dorm room, he thinks it's weird how something that was really low-budget is now on radios across the world. The song was written about a girl who he had a crush on in his class, but it's also about a specific type of girl because everyone knows a girl who thinks she's cooler than them. He has recently released two more singles which only just made the UK chart, will he be a one hit wonder?

This music video is iconically different to any other music video that's out at the moment. Although it doesn't stand out, it's still really good. I like the start (I call it an insertion sequence, although I don't know whether that's the correct term or not). It adds extra sound effects that you wouldn't normally hear. I don't know why they do this but sometimes it's just a good technique that certain videos decide to include.

I like the amount of glasses he wears, the show that people's perceptions of things are different, and although they aren't necessarily as different as they show it, people will still see things differently. This really links in with the lyrics "You got designer shades, To hide your face". All the glasses Mike Posner wears are all designer including  Oakley Razorblades, Holbrooks, Jupiters, Frogskins, and 3D glasses. I like the ending and how he ends up walking away from the party wearing his original sunglasses. If glasses could really manipulate a party like that they all would totally fly out of stores.

There are a few well known people who appears as a cameo in this music video such as Louie Vito (a professional snowboarder) and Christopher Pfaff (musical producer and clothing designer). There are a few others to be found, but I don't have a clue who they are. I like it when stars make cameo appearances, but I think they should have a more prominent role in the music video.

There really isn't a lot to say about this music video. This song is definitely catchy once you hear it more and more, I have to admit I didn't like it the first time I heard it, but it's really caught on. The music video links pretty well, and I like the way they show different people's perceptions through glasses. It is definitely iconic but not very memorable amongst a crowd of music videos.
Buy on iTunes

0 comments: